This new, steel-framed, two-story fire station and headquarters facility replaces an antiquated 1917 vintage fire house with a partial basement on the same site. Located in a historic area of downtown Shelbyville, the key public safety facility services a 92-square-mile area and the Indiana Downs horse track with fire, rescue (including “swift water” rescue), and ambulance service, averaging roughly 4,000 runs/year. To maintain uninterrupted services from the existing facility, phased construction was ruled out when a temporary structure became available to cost effectively relocate operations for the time being. CE Solutions also augmented the structural system of this temporary building to accommodate its change in use.
Size | 21,300 square feet
Constructed | 2007
Awards | 2009 Merit Award, ACEC Indiana Engineering
2007 American Institute of Architects Indiana Honor Award